PosiTector UTG - Ultrasonic Wall Thickness Gauge
Knowing the thickness of metal or plastic from one side is very important. The PosiTector UTG metal thickness tester from DeFelsko is an Ultrasonic Thickness Gauge which can be used for a number of applications such as:
- Checking the specification of materials that have been delivered
- Measurement of in situ materials, through coatings if required
- Measuring the remaining wall thickness due to corrosion
This compact ultrasonic thickness gauge has all of the features required for site work with all the technology you expect from a premium product.
PosiTector UTG probes transmit an ultrasonic pulse into the material to be measured. This pulse travels through the material towards the other side. When it encounters an interface such as air (back wall) or another material, the pulse is reflected back to the probe. The time required for the pulse to propagate through the material is measured by the Gage, represented as t1 and t2 right.
PosiTector UTG C and UTG M (in single-echo mode) probes determine thickness by measuring t1 (uncoated) or t2 (coated), dividing it by two and then multiplying by the velocity of sound for that material (steel).
For uncoated materials t1 relates directly to material thickness. When a material is coated the propagation time is increased and is shown above as t2.
Coatings such as paint have a slower velocity of sound than that of metal. Thus the single-echo technique will produce a thickness result greater than the actual combined coating+metal thickness.
The PosiTector UTG M in multiple-echo mode determines thickness by measuring the time between at least three consecutive back wall echoes.
In the figure right, multiple-echo mode measures only the time between echoes. Regardless of whether the steel is coated or not, all times between echoes are the same. In multiple-echo mode, the Gauge determines thickness by measuring t1+t2+t3, dividing it by six and then multiplying by the velocity of sound for that material. The resultant thickness calculation made by the instrument is therefore an accurate measurement of the steel thickness only, disregarding the coating thickness.
All Gauges Feature...
- Enhanced one-handed menu navigation
- Pre-programmed velocities—simply select from a list of common materials or enter your own with ease
- SmartCouple™ mode eliminates unintentional decoupling—ensures continuous measurements while measuring on scaled or pitted surfaces—ideal for analysing large areas using multiple passes
- Flashing display—ideal in a noisy environment
- RESET feature instantly restores factory settings
- Solvent, acid, oil, water and dust resistant—weatherproof
- Impact resistant lens
- Shock-absorbing, protective rubber holster with belt clip
- Two year warranty on body AND probe
- Precision transducers provide fast, accurate readings
- Certificate of Calibration showing traceability to NIST included
- Conforms to national and international standards including ASTM E797
- Built-in temperature compensation ensures measurement accuracy
- PosiTector body accepts all PosiTector 6000, 200, DPM, UTG, RTR and SPG probes easily converting from a wall thickness gauge to a dew point meter, surface profile gauge or coating thickness gauge.
- Flip display enables right-side-up viewing
- Selectable display languages
- Hi contrast backlit display for bright or dark environments
- Single or two point adjustment
- Inch/mm switchable
- Uses alkaline or rechargeable batteries (built-in charger)
- Min Scan mode—measurement rate of up to 20 readings per second with onscreen min/max for quick inspection over a large area
- Continually displays/updates average, standard deviation, min/max thickness and number of readings while measuring
- HiLo alarm audibly and visibly alerts when measurements exceed user-specified limits
- Screen Capture—record and save screen images into USB flash memory for record keeping and review
- USB port for fast, simple connection to a PC and to supply continuous power. USB cable included
- Every stored measurement is date and time stamped
- Software updates via web keep your gauge current
- Connects to PosiTector.net
How to select your gauge
Select Standard or Advanced Features
Includes ALL features as shown on above plus...
- Monochrome display with transflective technology enhances sunlight readability
- Storage of 250 readings—stored readings can be viewed or download
Includes ALL features as shown on above plus...
- Hi contrast reversible colour LCD
- Storage of 100,000 readings in up to 1,000 batches and sub-batches
- Store thickness, profile and environmental measurements in individual batches
- Onscreen help, real time graphing, picture prompting, and more...
- Onscreen batch annotation—add notes and change batch names with the built-in keyboard
- NEW! WiFi technology wirelessly synchronizes with PosiTector.net, downloads software updates, and connects to mobile devices for expanded functionality
- Data transfer via USB to a PC or via Bluetooth Wireless Technology
- A-Scan with adjustable Gain and screen capture
- B-Scan—displays a cross sectional profile of the test material
Select from 6 Probe Styles
Corrosion Probe Range
Measures the wall thickness of materials such as steel, plastic and more. Ideal for measuring the effects of corrosion or erosion on tanks, pipes or any structure where access is limited to one side.
UTG C – Corrosion Probe
Measures the wall thickness of materials such as steel, plastic and more. Ideal for measuring the effects of corrosion or erosion on tanks, pipes, or any structure where access is limited to one side.
- 5 MHz dual element transducer with durable PEEK probe tip
- Automatic V-Path compensation for thin materials
UTG CA - Integral Corrosion probe
- 5 MHz Dual Element transducer with integral probe
- Same specifications and operation as the popular UTG C but with a convenient integral configuration — ideal for one-handed operation
UTG CX - Xtreme Probe
- 5 MHz Dual Element transducer with braided stainless steel cabled probe
- Durable cable and heavy-duty strain relief for demanding applications
UTG CLF - Low Frequency Probe
- 2.25 MHz Dual Element transducer with cabled probe
- Designed for measuring attenuative materials such as cast iron
- Proprietary algorithm distinguishes back wall reflections from grain noise (reflections) found in cast materials
UTG M – Multiple-Echo Probe
Features Thru-Paint capability to quickly and accurately measure the metal thickness of a painted structure without having to remove the coating. The most accurate method to measure the remaining wall thickness of a painted structure because it automatically disregards the coating, lowering inspection time and expense. Also ideal for measuring on sandblasted materials or other applications requiring a durable wear face.
- 5 MHz contact probe with wear resistant Alumina probe tip
- Multiple Echo technique averages 3 or more echoes for accurate and reliable readings
- Toggle easily between
- Multiple Echo mode to eliminate coating thickness and…
- Single Echo mode to detect pits and flaws, and to increase the measurement range
UTG P - Precision Probe
Designed for high resolution ultrasonic thickness gauge measurements and thin materials including metals and plastics. Automatic Multi-Echo mode ensures the best accuracy on thin metals.
- 15 MHz Single Element Delay Line with cabled probe
- Field replaceable transducer
- Auto Single or Multiple-Echo mode depending on material and thickness
- Automatic probe tip temperature compensation
- Ideal for thru-paint applications to quickly and accurately measure the metal thickness of a painted structure without having to remove the coating
All Gauges Come Complete...
With body and probe, couplant, protective rubber holster, belt clip, wrist strap, 3 AAA alkaline batteries, instructions, nylon carrying case with shoulder strap, protective lens shield, Long Form, Certificate of Calibration traceable to NIST, USB cable, PosiTector.net account, two (2) year warranty.
- Calibration Test Block to fulfil both ISO and in-house quality control requirements
- Bluetooth™ Printer receives data from Advanced models
- Rechargeable Batteries—a set of eneloop NiMH AAA batteries
- AC Power Kit for continuous operation or battery charging—works in any country
- Protective Lens Shields protect the display from overspray and debris
SIZE: 146 x 61 x 28mm
WEIGHT: 140g without batteries
Conforms to ASTM E797