PosiTector 6000 - Coating Thickness Gauge - Metals
The PosiTector 6000 range are dry film thickness gauges used to measure coating thickness over metallic substrates. The Probe range offers Magnetic Induction measurement for use over ferrous metals and Eddy Current for non-ferrous metals.
Coating thickness is an important variable that plays a role in product quality, process control, and cost control. Thickness is the most important measurement and aspect in coating applications and inspections. Measurement of film thickness can be done with many different instruments. Understanding the equipment that is available for film thickness measurement and how to use it is useful to every coating operation.
The issues that determine what method is best for a given coating measurement include the type of coating, the substrate of material, the thickness range of the coating, the size and shape of the part.
The PosiTector 6000 offers users the best technology in the world with which to measure coating thicknesses such as paint, powder coat or epoxy over metallic substrates. There are many different of options with regards to probe specification, data treatment and complimentary technologies. Most importantly, there are probes that suit for different type of materials, that are ferrous, non-ferrous and combination of both.
Two predominant technologies are used for coating thickness measurements on metal substrates, the measurement is unaffected by most coating type, so paints, waterproofing membranes or other coating systems will not interfere, only other metals. The choice of technology depends on the nature of the substrate, ferrous or non-ferrous.
Used for ferrous substrates; magnetic induction instruments use a permanent magnet as the source of the magnetic field. A Hall effect generator or magneto resistor is used to sense the magnetic flux density at a pole of the magnet.
Electromagnetic induction instruments use an alternating magnetic field. A soft, ferromagnetic rod wound with a coil of fine wire is used to produce a magnetic field. A second coil of wire is used to detect changes in magnetic flux. These electronic instruments measure the change in magnetic flux density at the surface of a magnetic probe as it nears a steel surface. The magnitude of the flux density at the probe surface is directly related to the distance from the steel substrate. By measuring flux density the coating thickness can be determined.
Eddy current techniques are used to measure the thickness of non-conductive coatings on non-ferrous metal substrates in a non-destructive way. A coil of fine wire conducting a high frequency alternating current (above 1 MHz) is used to set up an alternating magnetic field at the surface of the instrument's probe. When the probe is brought near a conductive surface, the alternating magnetic field will set up eddy currents on the surface. The substrate characteristics and the distance of the probe from the substrate (the coating thickness) affect the magnitude of the eddy currents. The eddy currents create their own opposing electromagnetic field that can be sensed by the exciting coil or by a second, adjacent coil.
How to select your gauge
Choose your substrate:
- Ferrous (steel or iron)
- Non Ferrous (copper, aluminium, etc)
- Ferrous and Non-Ferrous (gauge automatically detects substrate)
Choose your probe/body type:
- Cabled Probe
- Integral Probe
Choose your probe specifications:
Choose your required features, i.e. Standard or Advanced
Standard Gauge Features
Includes ALL features as shown on below plus...
- Colour LCD display with transflective technology enhances sunlight readability
- Storage of 250 readings—stored readings can be viewed or downloaded
- Ready to measure- no calibration adjustment required for most applications
- Fast measurement - 60 readings per minute
- One hand menu navigation
- Flashing display - ideal in noisy environment
- RESET feature instantly restores factory settings
- Solvent, acid, oil, water and dust resistant-meets or exceeds IP5X
- Wear resistant probe tip
- Scratch/solvent resistant display suitable for harsh environments
- Shock-absorbing, protective rubber holster with belt clip
- Two-year warranty
- Calibration Certificate showing traceability to NIST or PTB included
- Built in temperature compensation ensures measurement accuracy
- Hi-RES mode increases display resolution for use on applications that require greater precision
- Conforms to national and international standard including ISO and ASTM
- PosiTector body universally accepts all PosiTector 6000, 200, RTR, SPG, DPM and UTG probes easily converting from a coating thickness gage to a surface profile gage, dew point meter or ultrasonic wall thickness gauge
- Multiple calibration adjustment options including 1 point, 2 point, known thickness, average zero
- Selectable display languages
- Hi Contrast backlit display for bright or dark environments
- Flip Display enables right-side-up viewing
- Extended cables available (up to 75 m) for remote measuring
- Uses alkaline or rechargeable batteries (built-in charger)
- Continually displays/updates average, standard deviation, min/max thickness and number of readings while measuring
- Screen Capture - save screen images for record keeping and review
- HiLo alarm audibly and visibly alerts when measurements exceed user-specified limits
- FAST mode - faster measurement speed for quick inspection
- USB port for fast, simple connection to a PC and to supply continuous power. USB cable included
- PosiSoft USB Drive - stored readings and graphs can be accessed using universal PC/Mac web browsers or file explorers. No software required
- Every stored measurement is date and time stamped
- Software updates via internet keep your gage current
- Connects to PosiSoft.net
Additional features on Advanced gauge models
- Hi Contrast reversible color LCD
- Storage of 100,000 readings in up to 1,000 batches and sub-batches
- Onscreen help, real time graphing, picture prompting and more
- Batch annotation—add notes and change batch names with onscreen
- QWERTY keyboard
- Wi-Fi technology wirelessly synchronizes with PosiSoft.net, downloads software updates and connects with mobile devices for expanded functionality
- Data transfer via USB to a PC or via Wireless Technology to a PC or printer
- Scan mode—take continuous readings without lifting the probe
- Multiple stored calibration adjustments for measuring on a variety of substrate conditions
- SSPC-PA2 feature determines if film thickness over a large area conforms to user-specified min/max levels
- PSPC 90/10 feature determines if a coating system complies with an IMO performance standard for protective coatings
All gauges come complete with:
- Precision Plastic Shim(s)
- Rubber Holster and Belt Clip
- 3 x AAA Batteries
- Wrist Strap (built in style only)
- Nylon carry case with shoulder strap
- Calibration Certificate (Traceable to NIST or PTB)
- 2 year Warranty
All PosiTector gauges include:
- PosiSoft Software
- USB Cable
PosiSoft Data Solution:
Connect your gauge to most computers with the supplied USB cables to access and print stored readings. No software required.
This is a web based application offering centralised management of PosiTector data. Access you data anywhere.
Newly updated software for your desktop. Available as a free download.
Access readings, graphs, capture photos and update annotations using WiFi enabled devices. (Advanced Models Only)
Other Probes Compatible with Body
The PosiTector Gauge body is compatible with a full array of other PosiTector Probes. The same body can be used with all of the following gauges. From Surface Profile Gauges to Ultrasonic Thickness Gauges and more.
- Wirelessly connect PosiTector 6000 probes to your smart device
- Turns your mobile phone or tablet into a virtual PosiTector gauge